Namesake of adjacent Rock Creek, Rockville has come a long way from it's humble beginning as Owen's Ordinary, an Inn located on the "Rock Creek Main Road" or "Great Road" which led from George Town (in present day Washington DC) to Frederick Maryland.
The 1776 partitioning of southern Frederick County into Montgomery County and the designation of Montgomery Court House (now Rockville) as the county seat ensured the future importance and vitality of Rockville.
Just as with it's southern neighbor Silver Spring, Rockville
has been enjoying a renaissance as of late, especially downtown Rockville proper with it's new Rockville Town Center development. Still, Rockville Pike remains the major commercial center, with the heavy concentration of restaurants and retail outlets by which it's lined, and terminated at it's southern extremity by the Music Center At Strathmore and Georgetown Prep...